Saturday, November 10, 2012

Food on Friday: Toffee Apple Pie Sundae


Hi guys!  Happy Friday! I hope you are having a fantastic day.

The sun came out here for a couple of hours--for the first time in about 5 days--and it was heavenly.  It felt almost like September again, which is what inspired this delicious autumn dessert!

As I am sure you have noticed this fall, I absolutely adore apples in September, October and November.  This time of the year, I can eat two or three a day, in any way, shape or form, and not get sick of them.  There's something about that tart, juicy flavor--preferably with a hint of cinnamon--that I just can't get too much of.


This dessert is a combination of all things delicious and all things autumn.  Cinnamon roasted apples are topped with ice cream, toffee sauce and a spoonful of oatmeal crumble to make an ice cream sundae that tastes like a buttery, caramel-y pie. 

It would make an absolutely perfect Thanksgiving dessert, especially for those people who don't like pumpkin pie--you know you have one coming to your Thanksgiving dinner.  It would also be great as a dessert at a fall dinner party.  (I can just imagine it following these delicious pumpkin ricotta shells.)

For the toffee sauce, I used Elaine's Toffee Company Toffee Sauce.  Although I am partial (my family owns E.T.C.) I know this stuff is good, because I've had people confirm it.  My friends and boyfriend all think it's heavenly.  The regular toffee is amazing, too.  I once had an English person tell me it was the only English toffee he had ever tasted and liked.  Imagine that!




I definitely think you want to make these sundaes this weekend.  So, here's how: 



Toffee Apple Pie Sundae

makes 4-5 sundaes 

You'll need: 


(I used just bit less sugar than the recipe calls for, since I was going to be adding the apples to other sweet stuff)



2.  High quality vanilla ice cream. 



(adapted from Food.com)

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/4 cup oatmeal (not instant) 
1/4 cup flour (I used spelt)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the butter.
Cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.  Bake at 350 (175) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown (watch them carefully).

5.  Assemble

Layer about 6-8 slices of apple at the bottom of a dish.  Top with ice cream, sauce and crumble.  Place another apple or two on the top as garnish.  



Enjoy and have a fantastic weekend! 

No comments: