Friday, May 10, 2013

Food on Friday: Mango, black bean, quinoa salad


This is the perfect weeknight dinner.  It's fresh, summery and delicious.  It takes almost no preparation, no effort.  It's healthy (and let's face it, weeknights are when we try to be healthy).  Cilantro and spice give it the perfect kick.  




I made this salad using a recipe for chili-marinated mango that I found on one of my favorite healthy eating websites, My New Roots.  I forwent the rose petals (because, who has the energy, really?) and I took Sarah's advice and added black beans (from a can), quinoa and plenty of cilantro.

Just because I wanted to, I added some sesame seeds for crunch and I made the quinoa the red kind just for fun.  (It maintains its texture better than the white kind and tastes nuttier.)

I marinated my mango and then went for a jog and took a shower.  You could prepare it in the morning and let it marinate all day while you are at work.  Peter loved this and ate it up.  It's bursting with flavor but I felt really proud of my healthy eating the next day.


Mango, black bean and quinoa salad
adapted from My New Roots

Ingredients: 

Chili-marinated mango recipe from My New Roots, found here 
(I only used one mango, because it was all I had but two would have been slightly better)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed  
1-2 cups cooked quinoa
1 large handful of cilantro
a sprinkles of sesame seeds
sea salt
pepper

Method: 

Prepare the mango and let sit for at least 15 minutes.  (You can also prepare the quinoa in this time so that it can cool a bit.)  

Add together mango, black beans, quinoa and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Keep cilantro on the side (if you have eaters who are cilantro sensitive, like Peter) or add it in and mix.  Sprinkle sesame seeds on top when you serve.  Enjoy! 

Have a lovely weekend! XO

No comments: