Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Gemütlichkeit is: a hot shower, while standing

Image via H&M.
"Gemütlichkeit" is quite hard to define using English words and after two years in Germany, even I am just starting to get to know its many uses.  Wikipedia says that, in addition to coziness, it also "connotes the notion of belonging, social acceptance, cheerfulness, the absence of anything hectic and the opportunity to spend quality time."  Wiktionary defines it as, "comfortable, cozy, pleasant, friendly, genial, cheerful, easy-going." Either way, it is certainly an abundance of all things comforting and happy.  


Today I am starting a new weekly post called "Gemütlichkeit is."  Every Tuesday I will choose something from the last week that embodies comfort, coziness, cheerfulness, love, friendship--or, basically, all the things that make life good--and post about it.  It will always be something that is free or almost free and will be my place to express my appreciation of the small things in my life which make it wonderful.  I also hope to get everyone else thinking about the small things in your lives that inspire you and make you happy.  I invite you to leave comments finishing the sentence for yourself, "Gemütlichkeit/Happiness/Love/Relaxation/Peace is..." I can't wait to see what everyone is thankful for or inspired by! 


***

This week, Gemütlichkeit is: my brand new, lovely standing up shower.  As you may remember (or for a lucky few, experienced) for the last two years, I took my daily shower while sitting in a bathtub.  Our bathtub was tucked neatly under a slanted roof, which left no room for standing.  We had a shower head, mind you, but we had to use it while sitting in the bathtub like big babies or golden retrievers getting hosed down. :-(  This may not seem so annoying, but it took something away from showering...it took away the pleasure.  It wasn't difficult and it was pretty easy to get used to, but showering went from being a relaxing, pampering end (or start) to my day, to something that was more of a nuisance than anything else.
The old shower.  :-(
Until, we moved into our new apartment.  Now, I can finally shower and stand at the same time.  Showering is fun again!  It's invigorating and relaxing all at the same time!  It is inspiring! And, quite honestly, it makes me want to sing.  (It really is the little things, people.)

I am so gosh darn thankful for that shower everyday, I am pretty sure it is my favorite part of our new home.  This week, showering has left me feeling happy, energized and bright-eyed in the mornings or relaxed, soothed and pampered at night.  And don't even get me started about how much easier it is to shave my legs!

The new shower :-) 

What is making you feel inspired this week? Leave me comment with your "gemütlichkeit/happiness/love/friendship/peace/etc + is..."

No comments: