Sunday, October 23, 2011

Going the distance

I am aware that it has been an insanely long time since I have written anything here.  I  guess it kind of got lost.  Now I am debating whether I should make Gettin' Gemütlich and Nifty Thrifty one or if I should just pay more attention to this little baby.  I haven't decided yet, but for the time being, here is a little something about love.  

So, as previously mentioned here and here, Peter and I are back from our weekend (which turned out to be just one night) away.  We had originally wanted to stay a second night in or near Schwäbisch Gmünd to enjoy our time together after Peter's race.  But, he was called in to work on Sunday so we have been home since last night and Peter has been at work, achy calves and all, since 7 am this morning.  It was a great weekend and it has been a great day, despite the fact that I am now missing my cuddle-partner a lot.

We started our trip at about 1 o'clock on Friday afternoon.  We had a three hour drive that ended up being a four hour drive because of Friday traffic.  But it was perfect and, aside from a little 20 minute break when I fell asleep, we talked the entire time.  We walked around the town a bit in the afternoon and got Peter's race packet.  Then we went to a big Italian dinner.  We went to a really typical German-Italian restaurant and it was pretty good--it got the job done at the very least.  Peter had not one, not two, but THREE entrees that night to prepare himself for the race.  Despite the fact that the service was a bit slow and that we had three entrees to sit through, we had a perfectly relaxed and enjoyable time, again talking non-stop.  I love that about us.  After dinner it was cuddle time and we watched tv until we fell asleep with full stomachs.

It was cold in the morning--all of the racers could see their breaths and all of the bystanders had trouble feeling their toes.  After wishing Peter luck, I stood a little ways beyond the start and saw him take off.  Then it was up to me to kill the next 5 hours.  I ended up walking around, exploring a farmers market, taking a lot of pictures of the pretty town, doing a few errands and having lunch at a cafe (soup and a apple juice for under 5 Euros, yes).  I was so excited to see him come in and was lucky he gave me a time estimate.  Seeing him cross that finish line made me so proud and happy.   He's been wanting to do this for over a year and has been training for it for six months or even more.  It was great to see him accomplish a goal. 

After the race we drove back--another three hour drive--and talked the whole time again.  At home, we watched How I Met Your Mother and drank tea before going to bed early. 

This weekend left me thinking a lot about Peter and I.  We are so lucky to have each other.  We are happy just being together.  Happy to drink tea, happy to go for a walk, happy to cuddle, happy to wake up late and have breakfast together, happy to wake up early and have breakfast together.  We are happy to cook together and eat together, to grocery shop together or to travel together--mundane or exciting, it doesn't matter. 
Plus, look at how great he is.  He has a goal and he goes after it.  He has the guts to run 50 kilometers and he doesn't give up no matter how hard it gets.  He works hard and is loyal to his colleagues.  He isn't scared when I send him link to website articles titled, "100 Best Places to Raise a Family."  He cooks.  He cleans (sometimes).  He doesn't mind my sweatpants...or my kitty-cat noises.  He's smart and interesting and very worldly.  He's passionate and kind.  He's all around just a keeper.

How lucky am I?

No comments: