Friday, June 8, 2012

Food on Friday: Amazing black bean sweet potato enchiladas


Today I am posting something truly delicious: black bean and sweet potato enchiladas.  I really don't even know how to tell you how much we love these (or how to explain to our neighbors the noises that come out of our apartment when we eat them)!  They are delicious; simple, but everything that an enchilada should be and packed with flavor.

Now,  I really don't think much of myself as a cook and am not normally one to toot my own horn, but these are more or less my own recipe.  I looked up a few random recipes--I don't even remember which now--before I went into the kitchen and started these for the first time, but I ultimately experimented the first time I made them.  I wrote what I did and will share it with you now.

I am sure that you could find some delicious, gourmet version online if you wanted to, but these have been consistently moan-inducing for us, so I feel no need to ever make anything else.

Here's how to make them yourself:

Makes 6 enchiladas, serves 3
Ingredients

Vegetable bullion
2 medium sweet potatoes, skinned and cut into chunks
olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
basil (to taste)
sweet paprika (to taste)
spicy paprika (to taste)
coriander (to taste)
1-1 1/2 dried chilis crushed (to taste) or equivalent in chili flakes
1 bag grated cheese (cheddar, gouda or a mexican blend)
6 tortillas
enchilada sauce
garnishes (cilantro, sour cream, avocado or guacamole, lime, queso fresco or mild feta)

Method

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Boil sweet potatoes in a pot of water with a bit of vegetable bullion like you would make mashed potatoes.  While they are boiling, saute onion in olive oil in a pan.  When the potatoes are mashable, add them to the pan  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add tomato.  Mash all ingredients with a potato masher.  Add black beans.  Add spices and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook on medium for about 4 minutes.

Pour half of the enchilada sauce into a baking dish.  Put the sweet potato and black bean filling into a tortilla with a little cheese.  Place into the dish.  Repeat with all 6 tortillas.  Top with the rest of the enchilada sauce and a little more cheese.  Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes, or until the edges of the tortillas start to get crispy.

Top with with cilantro and queso fresco or mild feta. Serve with a wedge of lime, avocado and sour cream.  Enjoy!


No comments: