Friday, June 1, 2012

Food on Friday: Chocolate dipped strawberries


Yesterday, Peter and I had something to celebrate.  Nothing big, really, but Peter got some good work-related news and I was itching to do something to make it festive.  We don't go out to dinner often, so special occasions often call for a delicious homemade meal, a beautifully set table and rich dessert.

So...I put on my fancy pants and made chocolate covered strawberries.

Now, I am not going to pretend like I need to tell you how to make these, or like you haven't made them yourself before.  My aim here is simply to remind you how AMAZING they are and that you need to have them right. now.  Because, honestly?  They are the perfect summer dessert.

I'll also give you a few ideas to dress them up a bit....these strawberries are about to get chic!  Boyfriends, husbands, best friends, parents, siblings will love you.  As Peter said "I am totally addicted to your strawberries! You are the best girlfriend ever"  Who knew it was so simple?  

Start with really, really red and sweet smelling strawberries.  I used organic ones.  I know the one at the top of the picture there looks little sad and dying, but I assure you he was beautiful and delicious!


Choose your chocolate.  Go high quality for this, guys.  It will really make a difference.  Seriously, I use toilet paper that feels like bark.  But who cares?  Fancy chocolate is way more important than soft TP.  I used 50% cocoa and 75%.

Now, assemble some fun toppings to spice it up.  This is what will take them from ho-hum to fantastic!  I used almond bits, white chocolate and Elaine's Toffee Company crumbs.  Yum. 


 Dip them and try to resist the urge to lick the spoon...and your fingers.


 
Don't they look fabulous?


 
I rolled mine around the the almonds and toffee crumbs and melted the white chocolate to drizzle over the top.  Then, I dipped a few raspberries for good measure. 


 
Finally, serve a few strawberries on a plate and listen as the people you gave them to tell you that you are the most amazing person on earth.  (Oh and just in case you really don't know how to make chocolate covered strawberries, you can get a recipe here.)

I hope you are going to the beach/pool/lake to live up this first weekend of "unofficial" summer.  Have a great one and see you back here next week!

1 comment:

rachelsdigestif said...

I'm in love with your dishes!! I need to start rummaging at yard sales for pretty plates...