Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thankful Thursdays: Health

Hi, friends!  How are you today?  I am just peachy, but it has been a long day and I am very happy and grateful to finally be in bed, a hot water bottle on my back.

It's Thursday, which means that it's time to give thanks for all the blessings in my life.  The truth is that I probably have more to be thankful for this year than I have ever had before.  You see, this year, two very important people in my life were injured in serious accidents.  I feel so thankful and so blessed that I can say that both are healthy and well now.
My good friend and I before his accident, when he came to visit me :-).
In July one of my best friends was injured in a car accident.  It could have turned out to be terrible--and it was for a moment there--but today he is healed, healthy and happy.  Only one month later, in August, I got the scariest call of my life: my dad was in the trauma center at a hospital near my hometown in California and no one really knew what was going on.  Plus, I was 9,000 miles away!  He had been in a bicycle accident (he is an avid cyclist) and had been rushed to the ER.  Luckily, some hours later, we found out that his injuries, although extensive, were not life threatening.  It was a relief, but we knew we had a long road ahead of us: he had broken his pelvis in 3 places.  Now, only 4 months later, he is healthy again, walking and cycling. 

My dad and I after his accident.
These experiences were new for me and very frightening.  I will never forget them.  Everyday since, I have thanked my lucky stars that my amazing family and my wonderful friends have their health and their happiness.  I am so happy I got to travel to California and be there for my dad after his accident.  I am thankful nothing was worse.  Health and life were always something I took for granted...but not anymore.  I know how quickly things can change and I am thankful for every minute of good fortune we have.  :-)

What are you thankful for today?

P.s. I am also grateful for my beautiful sister who was born 23 years ago, tomorrow!  Happy birthday, sis!

No comments: