Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving nostalgia

A beautiful table top from Pottery Barn via Pinterest

I thought about doing a post about centerpieces today, but wasn't that inspired quite honestly.  The truth is, I am having a hard time getting into the Thanksgiving spirit when people here are already putting up their Christmas trees and are completely clueless about the big day.  I went grocery shopping for my food yesterday, but the boyfriend won't even be here Thursday (and I have to work a half day) so there is really nothing festive about it. 

So,  I have found myself pining for all the familiar sights, smells and feelings that make this one of my favorite holidays.  Instead of Christmas trees, I want to see pumpkins, Indian corn and the lingering colors of fall.  I would love to have my (slightly) neurotic mom giving me a list of things to clean before guests arrive.  I dream about a "Thanksgiving outfit"--you know, that special skirt or blouse you bought sometime in the fall but saved especially to wear to Thanksgiving dinner. 

So here is my list.  This is what makes Thanksgiving what it is to me and what I miss greatly at the moment. 

1.  Martinelli's Sparkling Cider (because the number of years that I was not allowed to drink alcohol on Thanksgiving greatly outnumber the number of years I have been able to).  I usually drink too much too fast until my tummy hurts. 

2. Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, the best Thanksgiving dinner roll ever.  My sister and I always used to fight for the last.  

3.  Bell's Poultry Seasoning.

4.  My dad putting in the first Christmas CD of the season.

5.  My grandfather cutting the turkey with his electric knife and my mom complaining about how she made it too dry.   It never is, but she is always a critic. 

6.  The parade! Oh how I miss and love the parade. 

7.  Two kinds of pie: pumpkin and apple and eating them both. 

8. Feeling so full it hurts. 

9.  Cinnamon rolls the next morning. 

10.  Putting an olive on each finger and then tricking my dad (every year) into holding our olive-martian fingers at grace.  

11.  The calm, happy, satisfied feeling when you get into bed that night knowing you just made your tummy happy and spent time with people you love. 


I hope you have a lot of great comforts waiting for you this Thanksgiving.  Comment with a list of your own Thanksgiving traditions or memories.  I would love to hear about what makes the holiday for you!

P.s. 

If you want some centerpiece inspiration, take a look at these websites.

A recent post on using acorns and nuts in centerpieces. 

Martha's a genius, as always.   I particularly like the lower, simpler centerpieces

Non-traditional centerpieces from Cupcakes and Cashmere. 

And my plan for centerpieces this year: scattered votives and small pumpkins on the table.  I have found amazingly colored pumpkins this year that I really want to showcase. 

Something a little like what I want to do only I am looking for mine to be a little more simplistic.  From HGTV via Pinterest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your list. It makes me feel at home myself!

- Dana

James said...

Thanks, Dana! Are you far away this Thanksgiving, too? I hope you enjoy it anyway! Have a great day!