Monday, June 10, 2013

Gray summer day


Yesterday was a stormy summer day, dark gray and muggy with heavy clouds.  Instead of curling up on the couch, I got in crazy productive mode.  Three hours later, I had this beautiful painted chest and a scrumptious pie coming out of the oven.  

The corner of my apartment behind the stairs and right next to the door had been driving me absolutely crazy.  It was a neglected space, one that I hadn't bothered to fix up since moving in.  I had a bland chest of drawers there that I picked up for free in Coburg when I was desperate for storage, which made the space colorless and unfinished.  

I got these beautiful brass knobs at Hobby Lobby while I was in California and they inspired me to finally fix up this piece.  So, I got out a sanding block and went to town. 

This was not an ideal piece to paint since the it isn't actually wood and I certainly didn't paint it according to the rules.  I used wall paint, which I had on hand and only did two coats on the sides that you can really see from the hallway....I am a horrible DIYer. 

Still, I think it looks so much better!  I am in love with how much more finished the corner looks and how the gray really adds and pops against the white wall.  

What do you think?   









2 comments:

Anna said...

You could never tell that it was a DIY piece! It looks phenomenal! I'd love to see more about how it is over in Germany as summer is quickly approaching. Keep posting!

James said...

Thanks so much, Anna!

I am taking some pictures this weekend and will post them soon. It's getting beautiful around here! Have a great weekend!