Friday, December 9, 2011

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

image courtesy of Amazon

I have a little holiday album recommendation for you...

Since Thanksgiving, I have been listening to one album on repeat...and I can't get enough of it.  It is currently my favorite Christmas album and promises to be my favorite Christmas album for years, probably even decades, to come. 

Both timeless and modern, She & Him's new Christmas album (released this year) is a perfectly smooth, cozy and festive treat.  Ever since I saw the movie Elf years and years ago, I have loved Zooey Deschanel's voice--it is so smokey and cool--and have listened to the rendition of "Baby It's Cold Outside" from the soundtrack as one of my favorite Christmas songs.  I was so excited when I read that (her band with M. Ward) She & Him released an entire Christmas album this year. 

Although I grew up listening to many different types of Christmas Albums, as I have gotten older, classic Christmas albums have become my favorite.  I love the nostalgic feeling of Bing Crosby's White Christmas and Judy Garland's melancholy Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.  They remind me of a time when Christmas was simpler, more joyful. 

The She & Him album wonderfully captures that nostalgic sound, but in a very modern way.  On A Very She & Him Christmas, the style and sound is old, but there are new versions of old classics.  My favorite little twist?  A "Baby It's Cold Outside" lyric switch!  On this album, it is the girl bidding the guy to stay.  Oh, how modern ;-)! 

Anyway, it is a great album in my opinion and it's really set the whole atmosphere around my house this Christmas!  It's happy and light, cozy and sentimental.  Just how I want my holidays to be! 

P.S. Here's what Amazon says: "2011 holiday release. A Very She & Him Christmas is a wonderful collection of holiday tunes from two of music's most impressive artists Zooey Deschanel (She) & M. Ward (Him). Inspired by seminal holiday albums by the likes of The Carpenters, Vince Guaraldi, The Beach Boys, Elvis Presley and more, She & Him have set out to create an intimate holiday recording of Christmas classics that helps bring new emotions out of old songs."

No comments: