Friday, April 13, 2012

Food on Friday: dinner for one


As you probably know by now, my wonderful boyfriend does not have the most normal of work schedules.  As a protector of the streets, he works all times of the day on all days of the week and sometimes even misses a holiday or two.  It's a sad fact, but one that I have gotten used to over my two years in Germany.

In fact, I have gotten so used to it that I have actually come to appreciate the occasional evening home alone.  Of course, I could do without the weeks that Peter works and is away most nights.  But, when we have had 4 or 5 nights in the week hanging out at home together and making dinner, I kind of enjoy having an evening to myself.

I don't have to cook anything or clean up.  I don't have to fight to watch Grey's Anatomy on the big tv (or suffer through yet another Miami Heat game).  I have time just to relax and do exactly that I want to do when I want to do it.

That being said, I have gotten pretty good at mastering the art of the (almost) no-cook dinner for one.  Usually it is soup or salad, but sometimes I get really adventurous and make myself...eggs! Since college, omelettes have been my favorite go-to dinner.  They are quick, easy and totally healthy.  I generally like mine simple but the best thing about this delicious egg dish is that you can put almost anything you want into them!  Plus, there is very little cooking involved--it takes maybe 10 minutes to make one--and almost no clean up.

***


Here are some tips for making yours easy and healthy:

1. Pre-cut your veggies at the beginning of the week so that you never have to cut them when you are cooking.  Store them in glass jars in the fridge and just grab a handful when you need them.

2.  This probably isn't gourmet, but I always saute my veggies in the pan first and then add the egg right on top of them.  It incorporates the ingredients into the egg itself (instead of being in the "pocket" of the omelette) but it totally reduces the amount of dishes you have to do.

3.  Go for a pungent or flavorful cheese.  I read this great tip in Self Magazine once (and they say this is especially effective if you are trying to lose weight).  Spend your money only on good cheese.  The quality and flavor will be better and you will, therefore, be able to use less.  You'll eat less (and be healthier) but you will be more satisfied.

4.  Add spinach!  It will add a ton of vitamins and is really good with eggs.

5.  Have a garnish.  I like to add roasted tomatoes with salt, pepper and a little Parmesan or avocado and salsa on mine.  It punches the omelette up just a bit but doesn't require a lot of work.  

***

My favorite combos:

1.  Spinach, parmesan and tomato (shown above)

2.  Onion, spinach and feta (made this all the time in college!)

3.  Mushroom, black olive, bell pepper and cheddar


No comments: