Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Unexpected treasure


A pretty view from a beer garden in Nuremberg.  
I took a little walk around our city today, intent on discovering something new and interesting.  I meandered through a couple of streets and and was surprised to see that many of them were much more beautiful than I expected and were kind of hidden treasures of the big city.   I noticed many small, beautiful restaurants, cafes and shops that I probably would never have found if I hadn't gone out of my way to 'get lost'. 

I came upon one shop with a beautiful display outside, full of flowers and pretty glass things.  When I saw the beautiful bulbs in the pictures below, I knew I just had to get them.  They came in the most beautiful, multifaceted glass jar.  And they only cost 4 Euro, flowers and all.  


A few weeks ago,  I wrote a post  suggesting using trays as a way to declutter your tabletops.  This inexpensive but beautiful treat to myself looked perfect for the tray I started on my dining table a few days ago.  I had been looking for some sort of potted plant to complete the collection of bird salt and pepper shakers and a candlestick on Peter's grandma's silver tray.  I saw this and immediately knew it was exactly what I had been looking for.  

I am so happy I took that walk today.  It was full of little joys and made our cold, gloomy day seem just a little brighter.  It's amazing the unexpected treasures you can find when you slow down just a bit and make a point of doing something out of the ordinary.


No comments: