Monday, April 30, 2012

Vibrant kitchen to brighten up your Monday

Image from Keke via Inspired by Tamar.

Hi, everyone!  I hope you had a fantastic weekend.  I did!  We were up north to see Peter's family and I have to say that I couldn't be more lucky with the "in-laws" I have.  They are the kindest, most loving, welcoming and fun people.  I am seriously blessed to have found my way into the family that I have.

We enjoyed the summer-like weather over the weekend, went on some walks, ate a ton and chatted and laughed constantly.  By the end, I was a little exhausted from listening to and speaking German the whole time, but also proud that I was able to talk to everyone and more or less express everything I really wanted or needed to.

Now, it's back to real life but only for a day because we have a public holiday tomorrow.  I plan on spending time by the lake and getting a little sun.

***

Anyway, I saw this kitchen this morning and immediately fell in love with it--so I wanted to share it with all of you.  It's so colorful and vibrant and the perfect mixture of contemporary and rustic.  The photos are from the blog Keke by Kirra Jamison from Australia. 

I love the old fireplace (now a little pantry cupboard) and mantle. The huge tree branches are a great idea for brining in a little nature and life.  They make me wish I wasn't so allergic to trees so I could try that. The pops of red really bring the little space, which is mostly white, to life.  And what's not to love about the huge picnic-style table and big round mirror?

Can't you just see yourself making a cup of strong tea and a plate of fried eggs in here on a lazy Sunday morning?

Image from Keke.
Image from Keke.

But, how can you get this look yourself and not break the bank?  Here are a couple of ideas.

- bring real tree branches into your kitchen.  You can get them from your yard for free and put them in a sturdy but interesting container. Place them against a blank white wall for impact or in front of a large window.
- paint a small area dark gray or black, like the space behind your stove or the fireplace here.  (Bonus points for juxtaposing it against something made from wood.)
- get a vintage tea kettle and other trinkets from a thrift store.
- place lots of bright flowers all around.  Put them in used tin cans, with the bright labels still on them.
-hang extra shelving around to display some of your fun serving pieces or other fun (or funny) collectables.  You can get them pretty cheap at Ikea or even at a hardware store.
-hang a mirror in your kitchen.  It's unexpected and you almost never see one there.  This round one from Ikea is only 15,99 EURO (and 14.99 Dollars).
-where you can, combine old and new and a lot of real wood and stone with more sleek and modern elements like simple shapes and metal accents (like the hanging lamp).

No comments: