Friday, April 6, 2012

Food on Friday: One week of breakies


There hasn't been a lot of baking or delicious, indulgent cooking around here lately.  We've been trying to keep it light, fresh and healthy.  That means, that there haven't been too many kitchen experiments that I can report on.  (Although, we did try this spinach pasta and adored it so much we are dying to make it for ourselves and everyone we know again.)

With the lack of even-a-dummy-could-do-it recipes to share with you these days, I thought I would give you a peak into what I eat for breakfast.  So, I chronicled a whole week's worth.

Basically, I am obsessed with breakfast.  For me, it is not only the most important meal of the day, but also my favorite.  A good breakfast--with plenty of peaceful time to eat it--just starts your day off on the right foot.  I wish I could always see what others eat for breakfast (it says so much about a person, doesn't it?) but, alas, breakfast is totally underrated and usually isn't given enough attention.

So, here is to bringing breakie back!  You deserve a good one this weekend!

Inspiration incase you need/want it:

SATURDAY: Scrambled eggs with spinach and salami, half of a grapefruit, whole-wheat toast, coffee. 

SUNDAY: German breakie with soft/hard boiled egg, whole-grain rolls, fruits, various meats and cheeses, jam, honey, etc and coffee.  (This is usually eaten in a group or as a family.  Peter and I usually eat this together on Sundays.)

MONDAY: Toast with all natural peanut butter, banana and honey.  Coffee.

TUESDAY: Whole-grain cereal mixed with oats, fruit and coffee. 

WEDNESDAY: Whole-wheat french toast with banana, almond, maple syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.  A kiwi and coffee. 

THURSDAY: Plain yogurt with blueberries and almonds, half of a grapefruit and coffee. 

FRIDAY: Jamie Oliver's breakfast burritos* with tomato bean sauce, eggs, guacamole and cheese, fruit and coffee.  (Today is a holiday in Germany and Peter was home, so we took the opportunity to cook a late breakfast.)  

*The recipe is from the Jamie Oliver 20-Minute Meals app.  I can't find the recipe online and ours is in German, so I give it to you in a gist.  Saute one clove thinly diced garlic and one dried chili in olive oil in a pot.  When the garlic is golden, add 1/2 a can cannellini beans.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Heat tortillas.  Make guacamole.  Scramble and cook 4 eggs.  Assemble ingredients in tortilla and add grated cheddar.  Top with sour cream.  

No comments: