Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gwyneth Paltrow's got a new cookbook and I want it!

I am a big Gwyneth Paltrow fan!  I mean, who could beat her rendition of "Forget You" on Glee.  In fact, it kind of made me FALL in love with her.  I don't even watch Glee (don't hate) but I watched that episode. I think she is really adorable and I love all of her little side jobs.  Often, when stars take on side projects they can seem contrived and, quite frankly, annoying.  How many cheap drugstore pop-singer perfumes does this world really need?  But, Gwyneth has taken on a kind of (celebrity) uncharted territory in writing her new cookbook.  Yes, chefs have become celebrities (Rachel Ray + eye roll), but I can't think of another celebrity who has become a cook.  Despite what her figure implies, I truly believe that Gwyneth has a real love of food and the ritual that goes into preparing it. 

I have come to this conclusion because of a little PBS tv series I found two and a half years ago called, "Spain...On the Road Again."  I first found this series by chance on tv about 5 months after I had walked El Camino de Santiago (or the Way of St. James).  At the time, I was in love with Spain (and my own Spanish adventure) and was very happy to find a whole show devoted to Spanish cuisine, which to some is terrible but to me is the epitome of good eats.  I was immediately enthralled by the show and eventually even found an episode that is set along the Camino in Galicia, where I ended my 800 kilometer walk.  Anyway, Gwyneth does the show with Mario Batali, Mark Bittman and a Spanish beauty whose name I cannot remember.  It's excellent and to this day I watch it all the time (I bought it on iTunes). 

"Spain...On the Road Again" taught me that Gwynie and I (do you think she would mind if I call her that?) have the exact same taste in food (I too think that good bread with olive oil, salt and pepper makes a perfect breakfast).  I've admired her recipes on her blog Goop for a long time now and I am so excited to get my hands on her cookbook.   Of course, I have to find it in Germany in English first.  But then, I can't wait to cook away.  I really think this is one star's side project worth investing in.  Add it to her many talents! 

Check out the article about the cookbook and her publication dinner party on People. 

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20481233,00.html

Guten Appetit!

No comments: