Saturday, February 4, 2012

Food on Friday (a bit late): Chocolate beet cupcakes


Yes, it's true, there are beets in these cupcakes.  The vegetable kind.  And, no, they are not weird.  They are absolutely delicious, in fact.  If you don't believe me, I have a bunch of people who can testify. 

One of my favorite bloggers, Joy the Baker, posted this recipe here in the week before Peter's birthday and I just knew I had to try it.  It was right up Peter's ally...junk food with something healthy slipped in! 

The original recipe is for a cake but I adapted it to make 2 dozen cupcakes instead.  I didn't change anything, just the cooking time.  I checked them frequently to see when they were done and it was after about 25-30 minutes.  I was worried about roasting, peeling and grating the beets--I had never worked with beets before--but I was surprised and happy to find that it was a piece of cake (pun intended).

These cupcakes are seriously delicious.  They could not be more moist or rich.  They have a very deep chocolate flavor and are topped off with beet and cream cheese frosting.   Plus, it feels good to know you are getting some veggies in with your sugar.  You won't regret making these!  Enjoy and have a fantastic weekend!

No comments: