Friday, February 10, 2012

Food on Friday: Loaded oatmeal pancakes


Happy Friday everyone!  I hope you have a lot of exciting plans for the weekend.  These pancakes would make a great start.  They're filling and delicious and are the perfect Saturday morning food.   The best part about them is that you can fill them with anything your little heart desires.  I put fresh blueberries, which I happened to have in the fridge, in mine and added tiny apple pieces, too.

Believe it or not, this recipe actually comes out of Self magazine.  That means it's also pretty healthy.   No guilt here, so treat yourself to a pancake this weekend.


Fruit and Nut Pancakes
from Self magazine

Makes eight 5-inch pancakes

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sliced almonds, crushed walnuts or crushed pecans (I used almonds and walnuts)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 medium bananas 
1 cup nonfat or almond milk
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract (I used vanilla extract)
1 cup mixed frozen berries
vegetable oil cooking spray 

In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.  Mash 1 banana; in another bowl, mix mashed banana with milk, egg and almond extract.  Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients; stir until smooth.  Slice remaining banana and stir into batter; add berries.  Warm a skillet over medium heat; coat with cooking spray.  Measure 1/4 cup batter; pour onto skillet.  Cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Repeat until batter is gone.  

Every time I make these, I make them a little differently, depending on what I have in the house.  Sometimes, I substitute apple for the banana slices.  I have use fresh berries instead of frozen.  I have added a little yogurt and dried cranberries.  Make them with whatever sounds good and you are sure to enjoy breakfast!

No comments: